Squirrels, Raccoons, & Other Wild Animals

Problem animals (raccoons, coyotes, foxes, bats, etc.)

The Town of Halifax is not authorized to handle complaints relating to problem animals unless there is an immediate threat to public health and safety. Halifax is not an urban area and a variety of species of animals share the environs with the human residents.

Advice on living with wildlife is available from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts through brochures.

Problem animal control is handled by Problem Animal Control Agents who are licensed by the Commonwealth.

These agents may harass, take, and destroy, or may release or liberate on site as stipulated in 321 CMR 2.14 (23) non-domesticated reptiles, birds, and mammals the actions of which have or are endangering the life and health of humans or domestic animals; damaging the property of a person, obstructing the reasonable and comfortable use of property by the owner or tenant thereof or otherwise producing such material annoyance, inconvenience, and discomfort that can reasonably be presumed to result in damage or hurt to persons or their property. The mere presence of wildlife does not necessarily constitute damage or injury.

Specifically, PAC permits authorize the handling of skunk, muskrat, raccoon, weasel, red fox, gray fox, porcupine, Norway rat, mice, voles, red, gray and flying squirrel, opossum, chipmunk, rabbit, woodchuck, snapping turtle, moles, pigeon, house sparrow, starling and certain species of bats.

Individuals with damage caused by beaver flooding must contact their local Board of Health for a determination and necessary permitting. Damage caused by migratory birds and other birds such as woodpeckers, which are protected under both state and federal law, require a permit from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (413) 253-2403.

PAC permitees act on behalf of the landowner and are constrained by the same regulations regarding capture, release, transport and euthanasia. Fees may be charged for PAC services. If you as a property owner call on a PAC agent, he or she should not only handle your immediate situation but also provide information and suggestions which will prevent future wildlife problems.

A list of local agents is available from the Commonwealth

Some of the organizations listed below may be able to work with you on feral cat problems.

Relevant links to other organizations: